Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
I found this recipe in a magazine a couple of years ago. I am the only one who likes this in my family (they won't try it because it has poppy seeds in it) but i make it anyway. I love it that much. I do share with my mom.
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- In mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar.
- Beat in the remaining ingredients in the order listed.
- Pour the mix into the pan and bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the loaf cool for 15 minutes, then transfer it to a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, mix together the glaze ingredients.
- Prick the loaf with a fork, and pour the glaze over the top (place a plate beneath the cooling rack to catch drips).
- As a note, remember to keep your poppy seeds in the refrigerator.
- They will go rancid- i learned the hard way.
Exactly what I was looking for. Only problem was that loaf took much longer to bake than 55 minutes. After 1 hour the cake was still very liquidy in the middle. It took closer to 1-1/2 hours to cook. Husband commented that, unlike most "lemon" baked goods, it was really lemony. Definitely one to make again.
Used 2 teaspoons of lemon rind in loaf and juice of 2 lemons in glaze Also used a 9x9 cake pan to bake it in, baked in 35 minutes. Was enjoyed by all. Simple and tasty, my kind of treat