Recipe by lauralie41
A Change One Diet email that I received today had this recipe posted. These cupcakes are low in fat too!
Top Review by Veggie Fam
I also thought the batter was too thin but they turned out awesome. They were a little on the small side for what I think of "cupcakes"- the batter filled each muffin slot to about 1/2 way (a little more then 2 TBSP each). When cooked they didn't even rise up to the top of the muffin tin... so they are kind of a cross between a mini-muffin and a normal muffin which I actually found perfect for little hands! I didn't find these absurdly sweet either, which is a problem I find with most cupcakes. Delicious! Even my super picky boy gobbled these up! Thanks for sharing!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon extra-light olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel, grated
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- With oven rack in center of oven, pre-heat oven to 350°F Line a twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin pan with paper liners and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl on medium speed beat margarine and oil together until well combined. Slowly add granulated sugar; beat until light and creamy. Add one large egg, then egg white, combining well after each addition. Blend in lemon zest.
- Fold flour mixture and buttermilk alternately into egg mixture. Begin and end with the flour mixture. Stir in poppy seeds.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan. Bake cupcakes until golden brown approximately 20 to 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. When cool enough to handle remove from pans and finish cooling on a wire rack. These cupcakes can also be made ahead. Cool and wrap cupcakes well in plastic wrap, place in resealable plastic storage/freezer bags and freeze up to 1 month. Before adding lemon glaze,thaw cupcakes.
- Lemon glaze: In a small mixing bowl ombine confectioners' sugar and lemon juice and stir until smooth. Drizzle or spread over cooled cupcakes.