This has become a standard in our house. Even though it has 'grown up' ingredients, the kids all love it! Adults too! It is CRUCIAL to use parchment paper or a silicone sheet, greasing the baking sheet is not enough, the cookies WILL stick. From Martha Stewart's Holiday Cookies magazine
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest (about 2-3 lemons)
- 1 cup butter, separated into 1/2 cups
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar, seprated to 1 cup and 1/2 cup
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed, plus more for decorating
- 1Preheat your oven to 350.
- 2Bring the lemon juice to a simmer in a saucepan, over medium heat. Cook until it is reduced by half. Add 1/2 cup of butter, stir until melted. Set aside.
- 3Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and 1 tbsp poppy sends in a bowl, set aside.
- 4Put the remaining 1/2 cup of butter and one cup of white sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix on medium until creamy. Add egg and reserved lemon butter, mix until pale. Mix in vanilla and 2 teaspoons lemon zest. Gently add flour mixture. Refrigerate the dough for about 30 minutes, until a chunk forms into a soft ball shape easily.
- 5Stir together the remaining 1/2 cup white sugar, 1 1/2 tsp lemon zest, and a goodly sprinkle of poppy seeds. in a bowl. Roll or scoop the dough into into 1 1/4-inch balls, and roll the balls in the lemon-sugar mixture. I recommend gently shaking them one by one in your bowl of mix.
- 6Space the balls two inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten slightly with a fork dipped in the sugar/lemon zest/poppy seed mix.
- 7Bake the cookies until they are just browned around the edges, about 12 to 13 minutes. Let them completely cool on wire racks. Store them in an airtight container for a week, or freeze them to save them for Christmas.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Poppy Seed Crisps
Serving Size: 1 (920 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 128.6
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 22.4 mg
- Sodium 107.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 1.2 g