1/1 Photo of Lemon - Poppy Seed Cake With Lemon Mousse Filling
1 hr 10 mins
We think this is one of the most delicious (and addictive) desserts we have ever tried. I hope you feel the same! This looks difficult because there are so many numbered steps, but these are very detailed instructions and I think you will find it easier than it looks, and well worth the effort. (Lots of bowls are used though)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup poppy seed
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F Butter and flour an 8" x 2" round cake pan.
- 2In a small bowl, stir 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice into 1/2 cup of the milk and set aside.
- 3In another bowl, stir together the flour, poppyseeds, baking soda and salt.
- 4In another bowl, cream the butter and 1 cup of the granulated sugar.
- 5Beat in the whole eggs one at a time.
- 6Beat in 1 teaspoon of the lemon zest (if using) and the lemon extract.
- 7Alternately beat in the dry ingredients and the lemon juice/ milk mixture.
- 8Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 9Cool the cake in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes.
- 10Remove from the pan to cool completely.
- 11Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar with the 1 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch and remaining 1/4 cup milk.
- 12Cook over medium heat, stirring until thickened-- about 3 to 4 minutes.
- 13In a small bowl, beat the egg yolk.
- 14Beat in about 2 tablespoons of the hot cornstarch/ milk mixture.
- 15Stir the warmed yolk mixture into the saucepan and cook over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
- 16Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 teaspoons lemon juice and 1 teaspoon lemon zest (if using).
- 17Loosely cover the custard with waxed paper and let cool to room temperature.
- 18In a mixing bowl, beat the heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- 19Fold the whipped cream into the cooled lemon custard in the saucepan.
- 20With a long serrated knife, split the cake in half horizontally.
- 21Spread all of the lemon filling over the cut side of the bottom layer.
- 22Top with the remaining layer, cut-side down, and dust the cake with the confectioner's sugar.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon - Poppy Seed Cake With Lemon Mousse Filling
Serving Size: 1 (133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 436.5
- Calories from Fat 196
- Total Fat 21.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 133.1 mg
- Sodium 230.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 34.8 g
- Protein 6.3 g