1/2 Photos of Lemon Poppy Seed Buttermilk Rolls
1 hr 10 mins
Montana Heart Song's Note:
These are 1 hour rolls. The rolls are dusted with poppy seed right before baking. I like to bake them in muffin tins. To prebake and freeze, take them out after 10 minutes. Cool and freeze. Thaw and bake to finish. Longer baking time in muffin tins. Drop a powdered sugar glaze on top if desired. Photo shows glaze. I prepare both.
My Private Note
rolls p ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages fleischmann's fast rising yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup melted shortening
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm buttermilk
- 5 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup melted margarine or 1/4 cup butter
- Pam cooking spray
- 1/8 cup poppy seed (optional)
- 1Into two cup Pyrex glass measuring cup, add warm water and yeast; stir.
- 2In microwavable small bowl add sugar, lemon juice and 3/4 cup shortening. Microwave on 70% power, covered, until melted and dissolved. Stir until warm, not hot.
- 3Add to dissolved yeast and water.
- 4In large bowl add flour, baking soda and salt, mix.
- 5Add buttermilk and stir.
- 6Add yeast mixture and stir and mix well. Use dough hook on mixer and beat until smooth. If dough is too sticky, add a little flour each time until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- 7Cover with a cloth and let rise 10 minutes in a draft free warm area.
- 8( I turn oven on at 170*,cover and let rise in oven.
- 9Spray cooking sheets or muffin pans with Pam.
- 10Preheat oven to 400°.
- 11Dust your hands with cornstarch. Shape into rolls and place on cooking sheets or muffin pans. Let rise 30 minutes.
- 12(I put back in a 170* oven and let rise 30 minutes)
- 13With pastry brush tops with melted margarine.
- 14Optional step: Sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- 15Optional step: Top with drops of white glaze.
- 16Bake at 400° 18 to 20 minutes. Muffin pans take longer baking.
- 17When the tops start to brown, press lightly on the top to see if it springs back. If it does, the rolls are done.
- 18These rolls are wonderful to take to a potluck. They stay moist.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Poppy Seed Buttermilk Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (124 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 457.8
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 1.4 mg
- Sodium 542.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 8.9 g