Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
These are 1 hour rolls. The rolls are dusted with poppy seed right before baking. I like to bake them in muffin tins. To prebake and freeze, take them out after 10 minutes. Cool and freeze. Thaw and bake to finish. Longer baking time in muffin tins. Drop a powdered sugar glaze on top if desired. Photo shows glaze. I prepare both.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packagesfleischmann's fast rising yeast
- 1⁄3 cup warm water
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup melted shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups lukewarm buttermilk
- 5 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup melted margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- Pam cooking spray
- 1⁄8 cup poppy seed (optional)
- Into two cup Pyrex glass measuring cup, add warm water and yeast; stir.
- In microwavable small bowl add sugar, lemon juice and 3/4 cup shortening. Microwave on 70% power, covered, until melted and dissolved. Stir until warm, not hot.
- Add to dissolved yeast and water.
- In large bowl add flour, baking soda and salt, mix.
- Add buttermilk and stir.
- Add yeast mixture and stir and mix well. Use dough hook on mixer and beat until smooth. If dough is too sticky, add a little flour each time until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Cover with a cloth and let rise 10 minutes in a draft free warm area.
- ( I turn oven on at 170*,cover and let rise in oven.
- Spray cooking sheets or muffin pans with Pam.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Dust your hands with cornstarch. Shape into rolls and place on cooking sheets or muffin pans. Let rise 30 minutes.
- (I put back in a 170* oven and let rise 30 minutes)
- With pastry brush tops with melted margarine.
- Optional step: Sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Optional step: Top with drops of white glaze.
- Bake at 400° 18 to 20 minutes. Muffin pans take longer baking.
- When the tops start to brown, press lightly on the top to see if it springs back. If it does, the rolls are done.
- These rolls are wonderful to take to a potluck. They stay moist.