Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
The tang of lemons and the spicy crunch of poppy seeds. Perfect.
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 8 ounces butter, at room temperature
- 2 grated lemons, zest of
- 4 extra-large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup poppy seed
- icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter and flour a Bundt pan.
- Sift flour, baking powder, soda and salt into a bowl.
- Beat butter at high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add sugar in 2 additions, beating for 2 minutes after each addition.
- Beat in lemon zest, vanilla, and egg yolks and beat until light-colored.
- On low speed, beat in flour in 3 additions and buttermilk in 2, beginning and ending with flour.
- Stir in poppy seeds.
- Beat whites separately until foamy.
- Add pinch of salt; continue beating until firm, not stiff peaks form.
- Stir ¼ of whites into batter to lighten; then fold in remaining whites.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in lower third of oven for about 55 minutes.
- At serving time, sprinkle with icing sugar.
this is delicious and lookes lovely on a platter sprinkled with sugar. the cake is light and buttery with a nice crunch from the poppy seeds. my family loved this
I made this for a colleague's birthday at work and everyone raved about it for hours after! I served the cake with a glaze made of the juice of the lemons I zested for this recipe: about 2 tablespoons lemon juice / 1 cup sifted icing sugar. I also substituted the all-purpose flour for pastry whole wheat flour (and substracted 1 tablespoon flour for each cup). Delicious! Will definetly keep this recipe at hand!
Another winning cake Ev! This cake rises beautifully when baked, I used 1-1/4 cups buttermilk as the previous reviewer mentioned that the batter was thick. Thanks for sharing!...Kitten:)