Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
A beautiful cake, keeps well.
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 lemons, zest of, grated
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup poppy seed
- confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch (2 L) tube pan, plain or fluted.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt onto a sheet of waxed paper and resift twice more.
- Beat butter in mixer bowl on moderately high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add granulated sugar in two additions, beating for 2 minutes after each addition.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating on high speed for 1 minute after each addition and scraping down sides of bowl often with rubber spatula.
- Beat in lemon zest and vanilla.
- On low speed, beat in flour mixture in three additions and buttermilk in two, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Stir in poppy seeds.
- Beat egg whites in clean mixer bowl with clean beaters until foamy.
- Add pinch of salt; continue beating just until firm, not stiff, peaks form.
- Stir about one fourth of the beaten whites into batter to lighten; fold in remaining whites carefully but thoroughly.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; bake in lower third of oven until wooden pick inserted into cake is withdrawn clean and dry, about 55 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan 10 minutes.
- Turn out of pan onto wire rack to cool completely; if plain tube pan was used, invert cake onto second rack to cool, right side up.
- At serving time, sprinkle top of cake with confectioners' sugar.
I made this cake to take to a buffet supper. Everyone loved it and I got many compliments. It cuts beautifully and the lemon gives it a light taste and the poppy seeds add texture.