Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Moist and easy to make cake with tangy lemony glazing. I get requests for this cake several times a year. Time to make does not include soak time for poppy seed.
- Soak poppy seeds in milk for 2 hours. Sometimes when I am in a hurry, I put the mixture in the microwave oven for about 45 seconds. Be careful as the milk may boil over, just keep an eye on it.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease (with shortening because it will not stick as badly as oil or butter) and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together cake mix and pudding mix. Make a well in the center and pour in water, oil, and eggs. Beat on low speed until blended. Scrape bowl, and beat 4 minutes on medium speed. Blend in poppy seed mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan. Spread the batter so it's higher on the sides than middle.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. Sometimes when my cake does not want to come out bundt pan, I run a bamboo meat skewer (long, skinny stick) along some of the edges to help it out. This does not seem to leave a lasting dent on the cake later.
- In saucepan, mix powdered sugar, orange and lemon juice together. Bring to a boil on medium heat, reduce to low and simmer for 2 minutes. Should be a syrupy consistency.
- Pour half of the glazing into the bundt pan, then carefully line up the patterns on the cake with the patterns on the pan and put the cake back into the pan on top of the glazing. Pour the remaining glazing on top of the cake and let all of it soak inches Wait a couple of minutes until all the glazing has soaked inches Turn the cake onto a serving platter. Enjoy.