Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a really moist bread that is perfect for holidays, brunch or dessert.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350*. With non-stick spray, coat 2 loaf pans. Line bottoms with either parchment or waxed paper and spray paper and then dust with flour.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. With a hand mixer on low speed, beat until blended. Add cream, eggs, poppy seeds, lemon zest and vanilla. On low speed, beat just until dry ingredients are evenly moistened. Then on medium speed, beat just until batter is smooth, about 15 seconds. Spread in prepared pans.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, or until a wooden pick comes out clean. Let loaves cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Then loosen edges and carefully remove loaves. Peel off waxed paper and let cool completely on wire racks.
- To make glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together sugar and juice until smooth. Drizzle over cooled loaves and let stand until glaze sets.