Recipe by Crafty Lady 13
The magical matrimony of sweet and tart, the jazzy joining of luscious and light, the perfect pairing of sugar and sour -- that's what makes dessert and lemons a match made in heaven. Sugar substitutes are not recommended for this recipe. Exchanges 1 starch, 2 carbs. From Spring 2013 Diabetic Living magazine.
- 12 egg whites (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon yellow food coloring
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F In a large bowl combine egg whites and cream of tartar. Beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed 1 to 2 minutes or until frothy. Reduce speed to medium; gradually add 1/2 cup sugar. Increase speed to medium-high ; beat egg whites until soft peaks form (tips curl). Add poppy seeds, lemon peel, lemon juice, vanilla and food coloring. Beat 2 minutes more.
- In a separate bowl sift together cake flour and 1/2 cup sugar. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold one-fourth of the flour mixture into the egg whites. Repeat, three times, folding in remaining flour mixture one-fourth at a time.
- Pour cake batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until cake top is lightly golden and springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert cake in pan; cool completely. Loosen sides of cake from pan; remove cake from pan. Just before serving, pour Lemon Glaze over cake. If desired, serve with dollops of thawed whipped dessert topping and additional finely shredded lemon peel.
- For Lemon Glaze: In a small bowl combine powdered sugar, lemon peel and lemon juice. Whisk until smooth.