Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
The magical matrimony of sweet and tart, the jazzy joining of luscious and light, the perfect pairing of sugar and sour -- that's what makes dessert and lemons a match made in heaven. Sugar substitutes are not recommended for this recipe. Exchanges 1 starch, 2 carbs. From Spring 2013 Diabetic Living magazine.
- 12 egg whites (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon yellow food coloring
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F In a large bowl combine egg whites and cream of tartar. Beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed 1 to 2 minutes or until frothy. Reduce speed to medium; gradually add 1/2 cup sugar. Increase speed to medium-high ; beat egg whites until soft peaks form (tips curl). Add poppy seeds, lemon peel, lemon juice, vanilla and food coloring. Beat 2 minutes more.
- In a separate bowl sift together cake flour and 1/2 cup sugar. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold one-fourth of the flour mixture into the egg whites. Repeat, three times, folding in remaining flour mixture one-fourth at a time.
- Pour cake batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until cake top is lightly golden and springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert cake in pan; cool completely. Loosen sides of cake from pan; remove cake from pan. Just before serving, pour Lemon Glaze over cake. If desired, serve with dollops of thawed whipped dessert topping and additional finely shredded lemon peel.
- For Lemon Glaze: In a small bowl combine powdered sugar, lemon peel and lemon juice. Whisk until smooth.