found this recipe on allrecipes.com.by Laura, sounds good. I'm going to be starting one so I need variations.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 cup poppy seed
- 2 (3 ounce) packages instant lemon pudding mix
- 1 cup amish starter
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- In a large mixing bowl blend together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, poppy seeds, and lemon pudding mix. Make a well in the center of the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the Amish starter, eggs, milk, applesauce, vanilla, and vegetable oil. Add to dry ingredients and blend until just combined. Pour batter into 2 greased loaf pans.
- Bake in a preheated 325 degree F oven for one hour. Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove bread from pan.
Very good but wish it had more of a sweet lemon favor. Next time I will try adding lemon extract and coating buttered loaf pan with sugar.
This was good, but the vanilla and cinnamon seemed to overpower the bread; I will try it again for sure but leave out the vanilla and cinnamon. I took Chef SEvans recommendation and added some lemon zest and lemon juice. I made mine into muffins, cooking them for 25 minutes at 360; I think it would be much better as bread. THANKS!
I only used 1 pkg. of pudding and added a little fresh lemon juice and lemon zest. Very moist and tasty.