Prep 2 hrs
Cook 12 mins
A nice holiday cookie. Prep time includes refrigeration time and cooling time. From a recipe by Rose Beranbaum.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 cup blanched almond, sliced
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, poppy seeds, and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, vanilla and lemon zest; scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- At low speed gradually beat in flour mixture, just until incorporated.
- Cover bowl with plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, process the almonds until very fine. Do not overprocess to a "butter".
- Transfer nuts to a small bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Measure level tablespoons of dough and roll them between the palms of your hands to form balls.
- Drop each ball, as soon as it is formed, into the nuts and shake the bowl to twirl the ball around, coating it well with the nuts. Place the nut-covered balls on ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Bake 8-12 minutes, or until bottoms are browned. For even baking, rotate the sheets from back to front halfway through the baking period.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the freezer.
Wonderful little darlings these. A bit fragile, like a previous reviewer stated but nothing major. You just have to take a bit more care in the handling. A lovely cookie like you stated in your intro for the holiday time platters. I could really taste the lemon in these, but not overly so. Didn't have zest and so used 2 t. of juice. Only used 5 T. of poppyseeds which was plenty as I feel poppyseeds don't have alot of taste and are more for looks and a bit of crunch. I'll be making these again for giftgiving as they sure are cute:-). Made for the Photoforum Tag Game~
These have good flavor and were easy to make. I followed the recipe, except I forgot the refrigeration part, and they turned out well. I used a mini scoop to make the balls for added ease. I sent these in my cookie swap package. They are a little fragile so I hope they get there without turning to crumbs. :)Thanks Mikekey!