Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is packed full of Omega-3 and wonderful nutritional things for a healthy diet. Just a warning though - do not try to substitute the sugar for anything other than Splenda. There is a chemical reaction between the coconut oil and the sugar that creates great texture in the cake. You can, however, play around with the yogurt flavors. Personally I really like the pina colada flavor with a handful of shredded coconut thrown in for good measure. Orange creamsicle is also amazing with orange zest. Today I made it with a lemon zucchini greek yogurt and added shredded zucchini - WOW! I've been thinking about trying a strawberry pomagranite yogurt with some dried blueberries. Stick to the basic recipe and make some flavor adjustments.
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup coconut oil
- 2⁄3 cup sugar or 2⁄3 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 (6 ounce) container lemon yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup poppy seed
- 1⁄4 cup chia seeds
- zest of two lemon
- vanilla extract
- Preheat oven. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Cream the coconut oil and sugar together until fluffy. Slowly add the eggs one at a time. Add the lemon zest, poppy seeds, chia seeds, and vanilla. Beat in half the flour, then add the yogurt. Last, add the rest of the flour and mix until just combined.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.