Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From "Cake Mix Magic." The author notes that "The pop is in the cake; it's not the cake that 'pops.'" A lemon cake mix with lemon-lime soda in it is matched with a tropical toasted coconut and crushed pineapple whipped topping. The plain cake can be prepared and frozen for later. Just thaw and top it when you need to. If you are using a cake mix with pudding already in it, you may choose to eliminate the package of pudding mix that the recipe calls for. Prep time is an estimate.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package lemon cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant lemon pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup carbonated lemon-lime beverage (have this at room temperature before pouring into mix)
Pineapple Coconut Topping
- 2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup well-drained crushed pineapple
- 1⁄2 cup toasted shredded coconut
- Cake: Preheat oven to 350*F. In a large mixer bowl, combine cake and pudding mixes with eggs and oil. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Gradually add the soda, beating on low speed until smooth, then beat on medium speed for 1 minute longer.
- Spread batter evenly in greased 13-by 9-inch pan. Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Topping: Gently fold pineapple and coconut into whipped topping. Spread over cooled cake. Chill until serving. Store leftover cake in refrigerator.