1/3 Photos of Lemon Polenta Cake With Lavender Syrup and Raspberries
1 hr 5 mins
French Tart's Note:
This lush Italian dessert cake makes a bold and unusual statement with the addition of fresh lavender syrup. It is an elegant Dinner Party Dessert Cake which marries fruit & herbs together in a fresh & imaginative way! One of my "Stand By and Never Fails to Please" dinner party desserts!! Great served with just the simple addition of some creme fraiche. If you are using dried lavender flowers, please remember that they are more pungent than fresh flowers, so use sparingly! NOTE: I would be very wary of using too much lavender - it is quite a pervasive flavour, the essence of this recipe is that delicate flavours marry well with each other & are not too overpowering!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 ounces polenta
- 2 ounces plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons of thick natural yoghurt
- 5 tablespoons sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
- 2 large lemons, zest of, grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 14 ounces caster sugar
- 2 -4 sprigs of fresh lavender flowers
- fresh raspberry, to serve
- 1Heat oven to 180 C or 360 F or Gas mark 4.
- 2Sift the polenta, flour, baking powder & salt into a bowl.
- 3Tip the yoghurt, oil, lemon zest & juice into a jug and stir to combine.
- 4Beat the eggs and egg whites with half the sugar until thick and creamy.
- 5Fold in the dry ingredients.
- 6Pour the batter into a greased & lined 2 pint loaf tin.
- 7Bake for 40-45 minutes or until set & a skewer comes out clean.
- 8Put the remaining sugar into a pan with 7 fl oz of water and the lavender heads.
- 9Bring to the boil and then simmer for 10 minutes. Cool completely & then strain into a clean jug.
- 10Whilst the cake is still warm, prick the top and drizzle over half the syrup, saving the rest to serve with the cake later.
- 11TO SERVE:.
- 12Serve with extra syrup, raspberries, creme fraiche & a sprig of lavender.
- 13The normal portions I use are 2 thin slices on each plate, overlapped for effect and then a drizzle of syrup around the slices with raspberries scattered over the top and a rounded tablespoon of creme fraiche to one side.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Polenta Cake With Lavender Syrup and Raspberries
Serving Size: 1 (109 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 401.2
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 54.0 mg
- Sodium 183.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 50.4 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of