The pairing of lemon & pistachio makes for a great, crisp cookie. The recipe comes from the 1999 cookbook, Cookies for Christmas. Preparation time does not include the initial cooling time.
FOR THE COOKIE
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons lemon zest, finely minced
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted pistachio nuts
FOR THE ICING
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely minced
- 1 -2 tablespoon lemon juice or 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- FOR THE COOKIE ~ Preheat oven to 375 degrees F & lightly grease several cookie sheets or 1 LARGE one.
- In large mixing bowl, beat butter with electric mixer on medium-high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar, baking powder & salt, beating to cimbine & scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Beat in eggs & vanilla until combined.
- Beat in lemon zest & as much of the flour as you can with the mixer.
- Using a wooden spoon or your hands, stir or knead in remaining flour & pistachio nuts.
- On lightly floured surface, divide dough into 3 equal portions.
- Shape each portion into an 8-inch-long loaf.
- Flatten loaves to about 2 1/2 inches wide, & place them at least 3 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet(s).
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown & tops are cracked. (Loaves will spread slightly.).
- Cool on cookie sheet for 30 minutes,
- When cooled, preheat oven to 325 degrees F, then transfer loaves to a cutting board to cut each loaf into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Place slices, cut sides down on previously used cookie sheet(s), & bake 8 minutes.
- Turn slices over & bake 8-10 minutes more or until dry & crisp.
- Transfer to wire rack & cool.
- FOR THE ICING ~ In a small mixing bowl, stir together sifted powdered sugar & 1 teaspoon lemon zest.
- Stir in enough lemon juice (or milk) to make icing of drizzling consistency.
- Either dip 1/4 of one end of each cookie into icing OR drizzle each with icing.