Recipe by seahorse73
From Cooking Club of America. Pistachios are the preferred nuts for baklava in Turkey.
Top Review by Norma M.
I made this for my Progressive Dinner group. We really enjoyed it. I added another set of layers in the middle. I couldn't find raw pistachios so I used cooked but soaked them and allowed them to dried before chopping them in the food processor. They were fine. My Greek mother-in-law always scored through the top of the phyllo before baking to allow for easier cutting at serving.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemons, rind of
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups raw pistachios
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemons, rind of
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut up
- 24 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all syrup ingredients in medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium or medium-low; gently boil 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- (Syrup will thicken as it cools.) Place half of the pistachios in food processor; process until finely chopped.
- Repeat with remaining pistachios.
- In medium bowl, combine all filling ingredients.
- Heat butter in microwave-safe measuring cup in microwave on high 40 to 60 seconds or until melted; skim and discard foam off top.
- Pour clear butter into small cup; discard remaining milky substance at bottom.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Butter 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Unroll phyllo onto cutting board; cut to 13x9 inches.
- Discard excess phyllo, or reserve for another use.
- Cover phyllo with large dry towel.
- Lay 1 phyllo sheet in bottom of pan; brush with butter.
- Repeat, using 12 phyllo sheets.
- Evenly sprinkle filling over phyllo.
- Top with remaining 12 phyllo sheets, brushing each layer with butter.
- Cut baklava crosswise into 1 1/2-inch strips, cutting all the way to bottom.
- Cut diagonally to create diamond shapes, or cut into squares.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until slightly puffed and light golden brown.
- Place on wire rack; immediately pour cooled syrup over baklava.
- Cool completely.
- TIP*Look for shelled pistachios that are not roasted and salted; they will have a brighter green color.