Recipe by carolinafan
For a "light" version of this recipe use sugar-free gelatin and reduced fat whipped topping.
- 2 (3 ounce) boxes lemon gelatin
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, well drained, liquid reserved
- 1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (9 -10 inch) angel food cake
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, mix gelatin and boiling water until gelatin is completely dissolved.
- In 2 cup measuring cup, mix reserved pineapple liquid and enough cold water to make 2 cups. Stir into gelatin mixture.
- Refrigerate until thickened but not set; about 45 minutes.
- Stir pineapple into thickened gelatin mixture. With rubber spatula, fold in 3 cups of the whipped topping.
- Tear angel food cake into 1-inch pieces, placing half of the pieces in ungreased 13x9-inch glass baking dish.
- Spoon half of gelatin mixture evenly over cake pieces. Repeat layers.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap, refrigerate until set, about 1 hour.
- Cut dessert into serving pieces; place on dessert plates. Top each with about 2 tablespoons strawberries and about 1 tablespoon remaining whipped topping.