Recipe by Chef mariajane
This is a different dessert tart for you to try - I would cut back on the molasses a bit, it has such a strong flavor.
- pastry dough, for 3 double-crust 9-inch pies
- 1⁄4 cup lard
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- grated rind of one lemon
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix upper and lower parts separately.
- TOP PART: Mix lard and butter, add the other ingredients and beat until smooth.
- LOWER PART: Beat all lower ingredients together until smooth.
- Line muffin tins with pastry.
- Fill tarts half full with lower part. Cover with top part until full.
- Cook at 375F for 30-40 minutes.
- The top looks like cake when it is done.