Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
A good, old fashioned lemon pie!
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice (use freshly squeezed - you'll be using the rind, too)
- 2 whole lemons, rind of, grated (rind only of 2 lemons)
- 1 baked 9-inch baked pie crust
- In a bowl, mix the sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt together.
- In a saucepan over high heat, boil 2 cups water; add the sugar mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture just begins to thicken.
- Reduce heat to low and cook until thickened; whisk in the beaten egg yolks and cook 2 minutes longer on low heat.
- Remove from heat, stir in the lemon juice and rind and combine well; let cool for 5 minutes, then pour into previously-baked pie shell. If you like, you can cover with meringue (use "Weepless Meringue #20159" recipe).
This pie was soooo easy to make. I think it literally took me 5 minutes to put together. I used fresh squeezed lemon juice and WOW! This pie is packed with lemon flavor. Tart and just the way it should be. Better than my moms (shhh, don't tell her). DH LOVES IT!!! Neither of us like meringue so we just used cool whip. Very Good Pie! This one is going into the Hall of Fame.
Just like Mom use to make!
Very easy, yummy pie. I would recommend tempering the eggs with the hot mixture first, before you pour in the egg yolks. Will fill a small pie crust, but not a larger sized crust. If you like sour, you could increase the lemon juice to 1/2 cup.