Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
An old-fashioned butter cake, served with fresh berries, is the perfect dessert for a picnic or potluck. Land-o-Lakes Cookbook.
- heat oven to 350*F.
- in small mixer bowl beat egg white at high speed, scraping bowl often, just until stiff peaks form. set aside.
- in large mixer bowl combine 2 cups sugar and butter, beat at low speed, scraping bowl often until light and fluffy.
- add egg yolks, continue beating until creamy.
- in small bowl stir together flour and baking powder. gradually add flour mixture alternately with milk and butter mixture while beating at low speed.
- add lemon peel, lemon juice and vanilla.
- by hand fold egg whites into cake batter.
- pour into greased and floured 10" tube or bundt pan.
- bake for 50 to 65 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- in 1 qt saucepan stir together all glaze ingredients, except berries.
- cook over medium heat stirring occasioanlly until sugar is dissolved.
- with wooden pick poke holes in top of cake, pour glaze over cake.
- cool 15 minutes, remove from pan (if desired leave cake in pan to transport).
- serve with fresh berries.