1 hr 30 mins
An old-fashioned butter cake, served with fresh berries, is the perfect dessert for a picnic or potluck. Land-o-Lakes Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel, grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1heat oven to 350*F.
- 2in small mixer bowl beat egg white at high speed, scraping bowl often, just until stiff peaks form. set aside.
- 3in large mixer bowl combine 2 cups sugar and butter, beat at low speed, scraping bowl often until light and fluffy.
- 4add egg yolks, continue beating until creamy.
- 5in small bowl stir together flour and baking powder. gradually add flour mixture alternately with milk and butter mixture while beating at low speed.
- 6add lemon peel, lemon juice and vanilla.
- 7by hand fold egg whites into cake batter.
- 8pour into greased and floured 10" tube or bundt pan.
- 9bake for 50 to 65 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 10in 1 qt saucepan stir together all glaze ingredients, except berries.
- 11cook over medium heat stirring occasioanlly until sugar is dissolved.
- 12with wooden pick poke holes in top of cake, pour glaze over cake.
- 13cool 15 minutes, remove from pan (if desired leave cake in pan to transport).
- 14serve with fresh berries.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Picnic Cake With Berries
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 441.1
- Calories from Fat 162
- Total Fat 18.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 114.0 mg
- Sodium 203.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 39.3 g
- Protein 6.2 g