Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Jamie Oliver's Lemon Pickle. Excellent for serving with curry. When I made this I could only get 'Barts' dried curry leaves and I used a small handfull probably about a desert spoonfull. I couldn't get 'urad' dal (small dried split peas) only yellow mung dal. The yellow mung dal might be slightly larger - I just cooked it a bit longer than he's book said. The pickle turned out fine.
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- curry leaf
- 1 teaspoon Urad Dal
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 2 lemons
- Wash and deseed the lemons and cut into bite size pieces, leaving the skin on.
- Fry the mustard seeds in the hot oil. As they begin to pop add the curry leaves and the urad dal.
- Lower the heat and cook until brown, then add the vinegar.
- Cook until the dal is soft - test one as they will be really hard if not cooked through.
- Stir in the lemon, cook for a bit and then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- This can be stored in the fridge for a few days if you wish.