Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A tangy citrus taste that especially complements fish. Sets like jam. I often remelt a small amount, add a little fresh lemon juice and pour over grilled fish. This unusual pickle makes a good gift. Excellent with cold meats, chicken and fish.
- 2 whole lemons
- 5 large onions, roughly chopped
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 teaspoons horseradish
- 2 lemons, zest of, finely grated
- 5 -6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- Puree whole lemons and onions with some of the vinegar until very smooth.
- Place in a large non-corrosive pot with all other ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 45 minutes until reduced to a spoonable consistency.
- Bottle while hot into sterilised jars and seal with screw pop top lids.
this recipe turned out exactly like you said it would. I hate the taste, makes my face contort something awful :) BUT it is very interesting and people I have asked to try it have said they can see potential. two friends and I make jams and preserves, (especially strange ones) and package them well, and sell them in some local craft stores. I think this one is a winner, even though it isnt really my thing. I will add your hints to the tag, and I might even try it myself with some chicken or fish, one day :) thanks