Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Adapted from a recipe I found on msn.com, I made some adjustments to suit my taste and it came out delicious. The original recipe called for goat cheese, but since my husband feels "weird" about goat cheese AND I didn't have any, I substituted a mixture of tofu, cheeses and pesto... worked beautifully. We both gobbled it up! This recipe is for 2, but just adjust the amounts for more! I served with wild brown rice and side salad.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a 9" skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- With the chicken breast laying flat and your knife parallel to the cutting board, slice lengthwise, leaving the long end connected. Spread open like a book.
- Mash the tofu together with cheeses and pesto, adding a dash of salt and pepper.
- Spread the tofu-cheese mixture on both sides of the chicken breasts.
- Lay 4 stalks of asparagus on top of the mixture of each chicken breast.
- Roll chicken around the asparagus and secure with a toothpick. Sprinkle breasts with a little salt and pepper.
- Put chicken in skillet, brown on all sides.
- Put chicken in a pan and transfer to oven for 15 minutes. (You can top with extra cheese if you like!).
- Meanwhile, put the chicken broth and lemon juice in the same skillet. Heat to boiling, scraping off all the brown bits from the pan.
- Remove chicken from oven, place immediately on cutting board.
- Cut chicken into "wheels". Arrange on plate and pour the broth-lemon juice mixture on top. Serve warm with rice or potatoes!