Recipe by Aunt Cookie
These are savory popovers, with less than the normal amount of oil/butter added. They taste great out of the oven, but they don't keep too well...they get a little bit too crunchy.
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 cup milk, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Sift flour and whisk in milk.
- Add remaining ingredients, whisking just to mix. Batter should be the consistency of heavy cream.
- Grease 8 muffin cups very well (these have a tendency to stick).
- Fill each cup 1/2 full.
- Bake for 15 minutes, without opening the oven (otherwise they'll deflate).
- Reduce heat to 375 F and continue baking until puffed and well-browned, about 20 minutes.
- Serve at once.