Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
These green beans will put a pucker on your face! They definitely have a whang to them. My uncle Don is a very VERY picky eater and he ate half the pan, so they must be pretty good. You can also adjust the heat to these babies and if you happen to catch canned vegetables on sale (if you're not into canning your own), it's a great way to serve an alternative to plain ole green beans or that mushroom casserole everyone makes at the holidays.
- Drain the water off of the green beans.
- Over medium heat, place the green beans in a large enough saucepan. Add just enough water to cover half the beans.
- Squeeze the juice from all the lemon quarters, getting as much as the juice and pulp out as possible. Place 4 quarters in the pan with the beans.
- Season with black pepper to your taste. You can make these as spicy as you like. Salt to taste.
- Cook on med-low heat until beans are heated and tender.
I goofed in reading the ingredient list before shopping and bought fresh green beans. So I began by steaming them for two minutes then cooked them as stated here. They were just fantastic, the flavors were just bursting forward but simple and clean enough for this to complement my grilled chicken. Loved 'em and plan to replicate my mistake.
These very good- I love lemon and pepper and this was so much better than a lemon pepper seasoning mix, very fresh tasting.
These were so good,it was nice to have something a little different.