Recipe by teresas
This has been my all time favorite flank steak recipe. I usually make it without pinwheeling (is that a word?). I got this out of a Better Homes and Gardens Barbecue Cookbook back in the late 70's. Here I go again telling my age. Cooking time does not include marinating.
Top Review by diner524
What a wonderfully flavored flank steak!!! I made 1/2 of the recipe and just marinated the whole steak, but did serve the slices with some grilled onions and mushrooms for a fantastic main dish. The steak was so nice, tender and so flavorful, from such a simple quick recipe. This is a recipe I will add to my favorites for 2014. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe TeresaS!!!
- 2 lbs beef flank steaks
- 1⁄2 cup Burgundy wine
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
- 8 cherry tomatoes or 8 mushroom caps
Directions See How It's Made
- Pound each flank steak to a 10X8 inch rectangle.
- Cut each rectangle into four 10X2 strips.
- In bowl, combine burgundy, cooking oil, soy sauce, lemon pepper, Worcestershire and pepper sauce.
- Place meat strips in plastic bag; set in a deep bowl.
- Pour wine mixture over meat: close bag.
- Marinate 4-6 hours or overnight in refrigerator, turning twice. (I usually leave steaks whole and don't put in tomatoes or mushrooms, although it is excellent with them . Just a family preference).
- Drain meat; reserve marinade.
- Loosely roll each strip around a cherry tomato or mushroom cap, starting with short side.
- Skewer securely with wooden picks.
- Grill pinwheels over medium coals for 15 minutes.
- Turn meat; grill about 10 minutes more for rare.
- Baste with marinade often.
- Remove picks.