Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This chicken has fantastic flavour - succulent and juicy with just the right 'bite'. Marinating time is not included. DO try this on the bbq when you fire up!
- 59.14 ml fresh lemon juice
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 3.69 ml oregano, crumbled
- 1.23 ml rosemary, crumbled
- 1 bay leaf
- 118.29 ml olive oil
- 1360.77 g chicken, halved or quartered (depending on how many servings you want to get)
- 14.79 ml freshly grated lemon, zest of
- 9.85 ml coarsely ground fresh black pepper
- In a large, shallow bowl, whisk together lemon juice, garlic, shallots, oregano, rosemary, bay leaf, lemon zest, pepper and oil.
- Add chicken, turning it to coat with marinade, and let it marinate, skin side up, covered and chilled, for 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Put rack in middle position of oven.
- Arrange chicken, skin side up, on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Season lightly with salt.
- Roast for 35-45 minutes. Halfway through, sprinkle on pepper and lemon zest.
- This is also great grilled on the bbq.
Evelyn, this was wonderful. So easy to prepare, very much a fix and forget dish. The flavour was perfectly balanced between the lemon and the herbs and the garlic, a real keeper!
Very nice flavor, although I will marinate overnight next time. I had no fresh lemons so used bottled lemon juice and did this up on the bbq. Pulled the skin off chicken,the outside was nicely flavored, but lost a little flavoring on the inside of the chicken. Also, I added pepper and lemon zest to the marinade, because it is not stated in recipe. I figured that was right.
I've been looking for a Greek chicken recipe that tastes like the Greek diner down the street does it...I've found it! I followed Evelyn's suggestion and did it on the grill and this was superb...I've already shared it with friends who like chicken this way. I followed E's instructions to the T, make sure you use fresh lemons! I placed the squeezed out lemons on the grill just for aroma to tease my neighbors...it worked!