Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
This quick bread says "spring" to me. It's a little sweet and peppy, with a bright lemony taste and is heavenly slathered with real butter. Delicious with seafood and spring's fresh-tasting vegetable dishes. It's one of my favorites from the Silver Palate cookbooks; the original recipe also includes chives, but I just didn't care for their oniony taste in this bread and so I've omitted them. If you're interested in trying it, the measurement is 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives.
- 1 cup butter, softened at room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 grated lemons, zest of (yellow part only)
- 3 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each one.
- Stir in lemon juice and zest.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and black pepper.
- Stir 1/3 of the mixture into butter mixture.
- Add 1/3 cup of the milk and mix together.
- Continue alternating milk and remaining flour.
- Do not overmix.
- In another bowl, whip egg whites with the pinch of salt until soft peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into the batter, then pour batter into a greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, allow to sit in pan for 5 minutes, then remove bread and cool on a rack.