1 hr 30 mins
This quick bread says "spring" to me. It's a little sweet and peppy, with a bright lemony taste and is heavenly slathered with real butter. Delicious with seafood and spring's fresh-tasting vegetable dishes. It's one of my favorites from the Silver Palate cookbooks; the original recipe also includes chives, but I just didn't care for their oniony taste in this bread and so I've omitted them. If you're interested in trying it, the measurement is 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Cream together butter and sugar.
- 3Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each one.
- 4Stir in lemon juice and zest.
- 5In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and black pepper.
- 6Stir 1/3 of the mixture into butter mixture.
- 7Add 1/3 cup of the milk and mix together.
- 8Continue alternating milk and remaining flour.
- 9Do not overmix.
- 10In another bowl, whip egg whites with the pinch of salt until soft peaks form.
- 11Fold egg whites into the batter, then pour batter into a greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 12Remove from oven, allow to sit in pan for 5 minutes, then remove bread and cool on a rack.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Pepper Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1215 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3738.3
- Calories from Fat 1950
- Total Fat 216.7 g
- Saturated Fat 128.9 g
- Cholesterol 1368.2 mg
- Sodium 3324.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 379.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.3 g
- Sugars 71.2 g
- Protein 74.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of