Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another winner from the Pioneer Woman. I love that I can have these sandwiches on the table in 20 minutes. It's also a very flexible recipe; you can choose your cheese and your sandwich toppings. Delicious with mayonnaise & dijon mustard, and lettuce & tomato.
- On a cutting board, pound the chicken breasts briefly with a mallet to flatten the thick parts so they'll cook more evenly.
- Cut each strip of bacon in half. Arrange strips in a large (12") skillet and cook over medium heat until it reaches your desired crispness. Remove cooked bacon from skillet and put on paper towels to absorb excess grease.
- Pour off all but approximately 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease. (you can pour it all off and then add back 1 TB - you decide!).
- Heat skillet again, over medium-low to medium heat.
- Liberally sprinkle both sides of the chicken breasts with lemon pepper. When the skillet is hot, place all 4 chicken breasts in it. Cook approximately 4 minutes on one side.
- Flip the chicken breasts over. Arrange the bacon slices on top. Then place sliced cheese on top of the bacon.
- Cover the skillet and cook for about another 4 minutes. The cheese should be well-melted. To test doneness, poke the fattest part of a breast with a sharp knife - you shouldn't see any pink meat left in the middle.
- Dress your bun with mayonnaise, a dijon/mayonnaise combo, or ranch dressing.
- Put chicken on bun. It tastes great without veggies, but you can also add leafy lettuce, sliced tomato, and sliced onion.
Delicious sandwich! We really loved this and will make it again. We used cheddar cheese but thought it may also be good with swiss. Thank you for the recipe! Made for Holiday Tag.
Totally a five star recipe. It's as if I've stumbled into the light of day and my eyes are WIDE open! Or maybe that was my mouth...
Very good! I did not have any tomatoes, but next time I will add some--to me this sandwich begs for sliced tomatoes!