Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Created by Pat Wells, donated by Paul Perkins. Great anytime.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder (Clabber Girl)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 lemon, rind of, grated
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Beat shortening at medium speed until fluffy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating well.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt to mixture-adding to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Stir in lemon rind and pecans.
- Pour batter into greased, floured 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 50-55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove and let cool completely on wire rack.
- Lemon glaze: Combine ingredients, stirring until smooth (makes about 1/2 cup). Spread over loaf.