Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I enjoy the hint of lemon in these hearty, and healthy muffins. Try adding a handful of dried cranberries to the batter just before spooning into the muffin tins. They add a tart sweetness that works well with the lemon.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease muffin tins, or line with paper baking cups.
- In a large bowl combine the flours, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and salt.
- Add milk, oil lemon juice, lemon rind and eggs, stirring until dry ingredients are just moistened. Do not over beat.
- Stir in pecans.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins, filling 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
I agree with Geema, the hint of lemon in these muffins is very nice. They're also very hearty and filling. I used soymilk and made them healthier by using Egg Beaters and unsweetened applesauce in place of half the oil. They were good, but I think they could have used a little more moisture and flavor. I bet the Craisins would be a nice touch!