Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut in 1/2 inch slices
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 -5 tablespoons ice water
- In a bowl, stir flour and salt together; cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs (use pastry blender).
- With a fork, stir the egg, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons ice water together.
- Sprinkle the liquid over the flour mixture and mix just until the pastry holds together, adding more water if needed.
- Knead the dough in the bowl for 2 or 3 strokes, just until the dough makes a smooth ball.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes or until firm; then ready to roll out.
This is a lovely pie crust - I found it in Beatrice Ojakangas' Pot Pies. It is flaky and tender, but still sturdy. Rolls out beautifully. The amount of lemon juice is small and doesn't really flavor the crust - just makes the texture nice. I would have posted it if it wasn't already here!