So good, and a nice change from typical pasta salads. I always get asked for this recipe at potlucks. I usually increase the dressing by about a third, as we like salads moist. A few hours before serving I add the tomatoes along with chopped artichokes, kalamata olives, basil and parsley. Right before serving, I add some roasted pine nuts. This recipe is very versatile, add whatever you want, some of the ingredients I have added in the past are fresh grated parmesan cheese and cucumbers. This dish gets better the longer it sits, even 24 hours works just fine. Cooking time does not include the setting time. Adapted from Bon Appétit, August 2003.
- 7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel, zest
- 12 ounces penne pasta
- 2 cups small cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped red bell peppers, yellow bell peppers or a combination of both
- 1 1⁄2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- Whisk oil, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, and lemon zest in small bowl to blend. Season dressing with salt and pepper.
- Cook penne in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain. Rinse pasta with cold water to cool quickly and drain again. Transfer pasta to large bowl. Add tomatoes, bell peppers, feta cheese, and green onions. Pour dressing over and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.