1/2 Photos of Lemon-Parmesan Barley
From Cooking Light. The recipe originally called for water, but I believe that broth adds a great deal of flavor. I use either chicken or vegetable broth. You can also make this with regular barley, but need to adjust the cooking time in the first step.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups water (chicken or vegetable) or 1 1/2 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/4 cup shaved fresh parmesan cheese, about 1 ounce
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1Combine the water or broth, olive oil and pepper in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- 2Stir in the barley, cover, reduce heat and simmer 13 minutes or until tender and liquid is absorbed.
- 3Remove pan from heat; stir in cheese, lemon zest, and parsley. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with fork before serving.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon-Parmesan Barley
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 180.3
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 5.5 mg
- Sodium 103.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 6.7 g