Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Make this in advance and freeze it, if you like.
- 1 cup finely chopped blanched almond
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 lemons, juice and zest of, grated
- 2 cups whipping cream, whipped
- 4 cups strawberries
- Butter 12 cup serving bowl or soufflé dish or 12 parfait glasses. (If using glass dish, butter only halfway up sides.) Sprinkle with almonds, reserving 1/4 cup for garnish.
- In non-aluminum saucepan or top of double boiler, beat egg yolks with sugar, lemon juice and rind. Cook over medium heat or simmering water, stirring until thickened. Be careful mixture doesn’t boil. Let cool. Beat egg whites until stiff; fold into yolk mixture. Fold in whipped cream.
- Spoon into prepared dish(es): sprinkle with reserved almonds. Refrigerate for up to 1 day or freeze for up to 2 weeks. Garnish with strawberries just before serving. Makes 12 servings.
- The Canadian Living Entertaining Cookbook.