Recipe by Chef Becca C.
I got this recipe off a cooking show. It may sound like alot of onions to put in there but the carmalized onions make all the difference. I only use half as much lemon zest aswell. Tastes even better the next day.
- 2 cups dried orzo pasta (500 mL)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (50 mL)
- 3 onions, sliced (med.-large in size)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups sliced green onions (500 mL)
- 2 cups feta cheese, cubed (500 mL)
- 2 cups Baby Spinach (500 mL)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil (125 mL)
- 4 lemons, zest of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (2 mL)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (1mL)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Reserve.
- Heat a large heavy bottomed, wide-surfaced sauté pan, until very hot.
- Reduce heat to medium-high. Add vegetable oil and sliced onions. Cook onions on high for about 10 minutes, adding up to 1 tablespoon more oil if pan becomes dry. Reduce heat to medium-low, add garlic and continue to cook for another 20 minutes until golden.
- In a large bowl, combine reserved orzo with green onions, feta cheese, baby spinach, mint, olive oil, lemon zest and lemon juice. Toss to mix. Add caramelized onion and garlic mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Can be made 2 days in advance. Keep refrigerated until serving.