Recipe by LifeIsGood
This soup can be prepared very quickly. It should be brothy so that the orzo just floats in the lemony broth. Note: the pasta will absorb some of the broth the longer it sits, so serve as soon as it's ready! Recipe by Eva Longoria, tweaked a bit by me. P.S. You can use your own homemade broth if you would like!
Top Review by Nyteglori
This was very easy to prepare and everyone loved it. I did leave it sitting a bit as I had not finished preparing the other stuff to go with it and it thickened up which I think made it even better.
- 6 cups chicken broth, low-sodium (or veggie broth!)
- 1 cup dried orzo pasta
- 1 lemon, juice of (or 2 small lemons - 2 to 4 tablespoons, depending on how lemony you like it)
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 pinch kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a soup pan on high heat. Lower the heat to medium high, stir in the orzo and cook until al dente, about 8 to 9 minutes. The soup should be very brothy at this point. Stir in the lemon juice.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks. Stir the hot broth into the egg yolks, 1 tablespoon at a time, up to 6 tablespoons. This tempers the yolks and prevents them from cooking too fast and curdling. Stir the yolks into the soup and take the pot off of the heat. Stir well. Add a pinch of salt, or to taste. (You could add pepper if you like.white pepper would work nicely.).
- Ladle the soup into 2 to 4 soup bowls and serve right away!