Recipe by Tashi123
This recipe is really light and refreshing. I had this at a BBQ and loved it, so I made it tonight. Mine tasted a lot more lemony. It was great, but I'll probably use a little less lemon zest next time. I served the cheese on the side to allow my guests to choose if they wanted to add it or not. It comes from this website: http://www.abigmouthful.com/lemon-orzo-salad-with-asparagus-and-tomatoes/
- 12 ounces orzo pasta
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pint grape tomatoes or 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 2 large pots of water to boil. Add a big pinch of salt in each.
- To one pot, add asparagus and blanch, about 2 to 3 minutes, depending on the thickness of your asparagus. Place blanched asparagus in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking and keep them green.
- To the second pot, add the orzo. Cook per package instructions. When tender, drain and place in a large bowl. Add blanched asparagus and tomato halves.
- Mix olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Stir into orzo and vegetables. Stir in parsley and grated Parmigiano Reggiano (omit the cheese to make this vegan.)
- This can be served warm, room temperature or cold.