Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A Greek chicken dish that works well grilled/broiled or on the BBQ. Not yet tried (times are estimated) but it's on the menu this week...
- 1 small roasting chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 50 g butter
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Pre-heat the grill/broiler to high.
- Put the chicken breast-side down and cut along the backbone. Turn the chicken over and press down firmly to butterfly it.
- Heat the olive oil and 30g of the butter in a frying pan.
- Add the chicken, half the lemon juice and season well with salt. Cook until both sides are crispy and the chicken is just cooked through.
- Place the chicken on a baking tray and pour over the remaining lemon juice, dot with the remaining butter and sprinkle with oregano.
- Pour 125ml (1/2 cup) water around the chicken and grill/broil on both sides until the skin is crispy and deep golden.
- Pour a little more water around the chicken and grill for a bit longer so that you have some sauce.
- Cut the chicken into pieces to serve.