Prep 25 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is my brother-in-law's favorite cake. It is a very moist, light, and refreshing cake with a tropical punch flavor. Especially good on a hot day.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box Betty Crocker Super Moist lemon cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 6 ounces orange Jell-O
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 (16 ounce) container Cool Whip
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, oil and water; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until it is very frothy.
- Add the cake mix and beat on low speed until just combined and then on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a greased 13x9 inch cake pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until wooden tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile dissolve Jell-O in boiling water in a small bowl. Add cold water.
- Gently prick cake with a fork by putting the fork in cake about three quarters of the way down and carefully pulling the cake back. While fork is still in cake, spoon about a tablespoon of the Jell-O in the prick mark. (You may find it easier to use a liquid measuring cup or a baster instead of spooning the Jell-O in.) Do this at 1/2 inch intervals over the whole cake.
- Pour remaining Jell-O over the cake.
- Chill, covered, at least 2 hours.
- Frost with Cool Whip.
- Chill, covered, another 2 hours.
Very moist and light cake, which I also know as a Jello poke cake. I have made this before but never using a lemon cake mix, and the lemon was very good. Great for summer, cause you keep it in the fridge so it is nice and cold. It make a pretty dessert.
I know this cake as a "Jello poke cake" and have made this with strawberry jello. Very tasty-very light and very nice in the summer. I've used Dream Whip for the icing and decorated with fresh strawberry halves.I too store it in the refrigerator because of the dream whip topping.
I've made this cake for years and especially love it in the summer. I store in the frigerator. I have always used lemon flavored icing to top it, but Cool Whip sounds good, too.