Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Quick and easy crust. Filling with a great texture and strong, smooth and invigorating citrus flavor. You could put in pie pan and top with meringue or whipped cream.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt 8 tablespoons unsalted butter and let cool.
- Combine melted butter, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar and pinch of salt and blend with a spoon.
- Gradually add flour till you form a smooth, soft dough with a consistency similar to cookie dough.
- Place in center of tart pan and press down with fingertips as evenly as possible on bottom and sides of the pan.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 12 to 15 minutes, till it's lightly browned. You do not need to prick or weigh this crust.
- While the pie crust is baking, cut rest of the butter into 8 pieces.
- Combine eggs, egg yolks and sugar in double boiler.
- Place over simmering water. The top pan should be just above, not touching the simmering (not boiling) water.
- Whisk, and watch the mixture transform. It will start bright yellow and grainy. As the sugar melts it become more liquid, paler, and frothy on top. After about 8 to 10 minutes it will thicken and become pale lemon colored.
- Add butter, one piece at a time, letting each piece melt before adding the next.
- Add the lemon or lime juice. If you want, when lime put in a bit of green food coloring, just so people eating the pie will know what flavor to expect.
- Continue whisking until the mixture is thick and custard like and the first bubbles appear. Do NOT let it boil. It will take 3 or 4 minutes.
- Pour the filling into the baked pie crust and smooth with spatula.
- Leave to set for 30 minutes. You can put it in the refrigerator.
- Serve at room temperature.