Recipe by Andtototoo!
This rice, from southern India, is great with the addition of powdered fenugreek (methi) seeds.
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 4 dried red chilies, broken into pieces
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon split white Urad Dal
- 1 teaspoon channa dal
- 2 -3 minced serrano chilies
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hing
- 12 -16 curry leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 7 -8 cups cooked rice
- salt, as needed
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 to 3 limes, juice of
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup roasted peanuts
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- In a frying pan put the fenugreek (methi) seeds and the dried red chilies and stir-fry for 2 minutes over medium heat to toast the seeds and chilies.
- Powder in a coffee grinder and set aside.
- In a dutch oven, put the oil, mustard seeds, urad dal, and chana dal.
- Heat over high heat until the mustard seeds start to pop.
- Add the minced serrano chilies and stir until the chilies have softened and the dals are light brown.
- Reduce heat to very low.
- Quickly stir in the hing, curry leaves, turmeric, and the powdered fenugreek seeds.
- In batches add the rice and salt as needed, blending well with each addition.
- When everything is thoroughly combined, add the lemon or lime juice and stir until well mixed.
- Garnish with the peanuts and the cilantro.