Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
The best lemon cake I've ever had! From Woman's Day. You can use lime zest and juice in place of lemon for a nice change of pace. Everyone will want this recipe!
- Heat oven to 325°F
- Spray cooking spray into a 12 cup Bundt pan.
- Mix together flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and baking soda, set aside.
- In medium bowl, beat butter, sugar, lemon zest and juice with mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, until well-blended.
- With mixer on low, alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk until the batter is smooth.
- Scrape into the prepared Bundt pan; level the top with a spatula.
- Bake 55-65 minutes until a wooden pick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk glaze ingredients in a small bowl (sugar may not be dissolved all the way).
- Invert cake from pan to plate.
- Brush glaze all over hot cake (sugar crystals will be evident).
- Let cake rest several hours before serving.
- Store cake at room temperature up to 4 days.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar or serve with blueberry or strawberry preserves.
This is probably the best cake we've ever had. Every time I'm supposed to bring a dessert, this is the one requested. Well worth the effort.
We made this recipe at a BBQ for a group of friends. . We made it without the glaze(we've tried the glaze, but like it much better without the extra sweetness) sliced it. and lightly browned each slice on the grill. We then covered each serving with thawed frozen strawberries and whipped cream. Everyone raved. The texture is a little course, but that is a positive part of the desert's appeal. Will repeat again with other fruit combinations. Thank you for posting.
I was disappointed by the texture of this cake. It was rather gritty. Taste was not bad but it is just an average cake in my opinion