Recipe by ChefDebs
This came from Epicurious , with just a couple of changes. It is a lovely light cake without any dairy products. it would be lovely with rasberries and ice cream.
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large lemon
- 1 cup cake flour
- 5 large eggs, seperated reserving 1 white for another use
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Grease a springform pan with some oil , then line the base with parchment paper and grease the paper.
- Finely grate lemon zest from the lemon, and whisk together with the flour,reserve.
- Sqeeze juice from the lemon and reserve.
- Beat together, egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar with an electric mixer at high speed until thick and pale ( 3 mins ) Reduce speed and add olive oil and reserved lemon juice, beating until just combined ( mix may look seperated )Using a wooden spoon stir in flour mixture until just combined.
- Beat the 4 egg whites and 1/2 tsp salt in a clean bowl, and beat until frothy, then add 1/4 cup sugar a little at a time, beating until egg whites form soft peaks ( 3 mins ).
- Gently fold 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture, then fold in remaining whites, gently but thoroughly.
- Transfer batter to springform pan.Sprinkle top with the 2 tbsps sugar.
- Baake until puffed and golden, and a wooden pick comes out clean ( 45 mins ).
- Cool cake on rack for 10 mins then run a thin knife around edge and remove side of pan.
- Cool cake to room temp and remove bottom of pan and peel off parchment paper and transfer to serving plate.