Our lemon tree is exploding with lemons! My recipe calls for fresh lemon rind and juice. If you use packaged lemon zest, you might want to add more than the 2 teaspoons. This cookie is light and crispy, not moist and chewey.
- Cream butter, shortening, sugar and eggs, mix well, beat in lemon zest, juice and extract.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt, stir in oatmeal.
- Chill dough 2-3 hrs (I keep dough for up to 4-5 days and make a few at a time).
- Roll dough in walnut sized pieces, toss generously in powdered sugar; place 1-2" apart on ungreased cookie sheet, flatten slightly with the bottom of a juice jar.
- Bake at 350 about 12-15 minute or until browned around the edges. Make sure to let them brown enough so they will be crispy.
- Cool and serve.