Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Our lemon tree is exploding with lemons! My recipe calls for fresh lemon rind and juice. If you use packaged lemon zest, you might want to add more than the 2 teaspoons. This cookie is light and crispy, not moist and chewey.
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter (soft)
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind
- 3⁄4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups oats
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Cream butter, shortening, sugar and eggs, mix well, beat in lemon zest, juice and extract.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt, stir in oatmeal.
- Chill dough 2-3 hrs (I keep dough for up to 4-5 days and make a few at a time).
- Roll dough in walnut sized pieces, toss generously in powdered sugar; place 1-2" apart on ungreased cookie sheet, flatten slightly with the bottom of a juice jar.
- Bake at 350 about 12-15 minute or until browned around the edges. Make sure to let them brown enough so they will be crispy.
- Cool and serve.
Although I pretty much followed your recipe, I admit to being generous with my measures of the fresh lemon zest, since we do love the taste of lemon! You have a great cookie recipe here ~ Thoroughly enjoyable! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in Everyday Is a Holiday tag]