Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This gluten-free cake comes from Epicurious. I've made it twice and absolutely adore it. I'm not gluten-free myself but it doesn't stop me from enjoying this recipe. Originally recipe here: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Lemon-Nut-Torte-with-Summer-Berries-354271#ixzz1XbVL1QRr
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup almond flour (found at health food stores)
- 1 tablespoon almond flour (found at health food stores)
- 1⁄3 cup cornflour (finely ground cornmeal)
- 4 large eggs, yolks and whites divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, grated
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Line an 8" or 9" springform pan with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray.
- Combine 1/3 cup sugar and flours in a bowl.
- Whip 1/3 cup sugar and egg yolks in another bowl with an electric mixer about 5 minutes.
- Beat in zest, oil, lemon juice, and orange juice.
- Fold in dry ingredients.
- Beat egg whites and salt in a third bowl with an electric mixer until frothy.
- Beat in remaining 1/3 cup sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Fold 1/3 of egg-white mixture into batter. Fold in remaining egg white mixture in two parts, mixing well.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven; cool. Invert pan, remove parchment, and turn cake right side up onto a plate.
Outstanding cake. Wanted something lemony and light for Easter dinner. Perfect! Sifted some confectioners sugar to make it pretty. Served with blueberries and nectarines laced with some kirschwasser, and dulce de leche ice cream. Great finish to a heavy meal.