Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Serve this tangy cream sauce over eggs, baked fish or freshly steamed vegetables. Recipe from Chef Sallie Williams.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- red peppers (cayenne) or hot pepper sauce, to taste
- Melt the butter in a medium size saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in the flour and cook for three minutes, but do not allow the mixture to brown.
- Add the milk all at once, stirring constantly, and boil until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Cover and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, beat together the egg yolks, lemon juice, mustard and pepper.
- Stir 1/4 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks.
- Then, pour the egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Do not boil.
- Serve at once.