Recipe by JackieOhNo!
Although it sounds like a bit of trouble, it actually isn't, and can actually be made in about 45 minutes. It takes about 2 hours to chill, which I have not included in the prep time. But, if serving for guests or a special occasion, simply make it in the morning and forget about it until time to serve.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 4 medium lemons, juice and zest of, grated
- 6 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream, cold
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle gelatin over lemon juice and zest of 3 lemons in small saucepan; let stand 5 minutes to let gelatin soften. Heat over very low heat just until gelatin dissolves completely; then let cool completely.
- Beat egg yolks in bowl until thick. Gradually beat in 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until very thick and very pale. Beat in vanilla and cooled gelatin mixture.
- Beat egg whites in another bowl until foamy. Gradually beat in 2 T. sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form (but not dry).
- Whip cream until soft peaks form. Using rubber spatula, gently fold cream into the egg yolks, then fold in egg whites.
- Transfer to large serving bowl. Refrigerate covered at least 2 hours but no longer than 24 hours.
- Meanwhile, make blueberry sauce. Combine blueberries, the zest and juice of 1 lemon, and 5 T. sugar (or so) in a medium saucepan. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring occasionally; reduce heat and boil gently until juice is slightly thickened and syrupy, 10-15 minutes. Let cool completely, then transfer to serving bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.